Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Getting the Boot

    So.....the whole Sack Lunch anger rant came directly before my daughter got kicked out of the field trip program I had enrolled her in.....and paid for. I am kind of glad I don't have to mess with that crap anymore...but I was sad for her. She liked feeling big and riding in a bus and all. The reason behind her getting kicked out was stupid. She's a five year old kid. She had to go to the bathroom.....so what if she wandered away to accomplish this? Sometimes, when ya gotta go, ya gotta go! I got my refund, kid learned a lesson, whatevs. I'm over it now.
    This weekend, I took the minions to the pool for a bit to cool off and have some giggles. They had this kiddie whale slide. My kids were going nuts on it completely ignoring the lifeguard's yelling to go down feet first, walk not run, wait for the other kid to get out of the way before going down and so on. Both my kids eventually got kicked out of the little whale slide area. Rather than yell at them about this...I just said we would leave the pool at that point. I wasn't really upset at all about it. The kids were having fun and weren't hurting anyone. I think some rules are just there to be broken.
     This kind of all leads up to my current attitude. I LIKE that they rebel. I like that they aren't afraid to stick up for themselves and what they believe is right (even if they are wrong). It's a trait I intend on cultivating and encouraging in them. Don't get me wrong....I don't want kids that run around all super crazy and disregard all authority......but a little anarchy is good for them. I refuse to raise robots. I want them to think for themselves...not just follow instructions. I want them to learn for themselves which rules are worth breaking and which ones aren't. I want them to test limits....it's how they learn where they stand. This is our theme for the rest of the summer. I am going to sit back and allow them to discover what behaviors work and where they work. I am determined to have our family unit get thrown out of no less than 3 more establishments by the end   of summer! We seem to be on a roll here and who am I to mess with momentum?

No comments:

Post a Comment