Monday, June 11, 2012

Day #11 - The Fucking Job Market

I have technically been unemployed for about 4 months now. To some, this may not seem like a long time in this economy, but to me, it's an eternity. I have never been one to sit on my ass and not earn my keep. That's what this feels like. I'm trying to make the best of it, spending loads of time with my kids, picking up more freelance work, seeing old friends and keeping a neat house. I'm over all that shit! I just want to get back to work.

This economy is a joke. I hear people saying that it's slowly getting better, yet the unemployment statistics aren't budging and I'm hearing stories of people that have been unemployed for YEARS. Smart people, with college degrees and technical skills. I can attest to the level of competition out there. I have never been unemployed in my life for more than a few weeks aside from taking time to stay at home with my kids right after they were born. I hear from employers about the flood of applications and resumes they receive after posting a position. They have to take longer to hire someone because they have to sift through hundreds of applicants. RIDICULOUS!!!

In the past month, I have applied to no fewer than 346 positions posted. That is the count I have by tallying just the confirmation emails in my email account. This economy is failing us. People are looking to blame someone. The president, the last president....I really don't care. I just want it to get better in a hurry. I want people to stop  worrying and fixating on money so much. I just want to be able to sit back and enjoy life without the added stress of the big dark "economy" cloud hovering over us. I'm an experienced, educated woman willing to work hard. So how come there's no place for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment